Analytical Blog

Essential Question: What is it that drives a musician to explore new ideas and possibilities?

As I have nearly finished Miles - The Autobiography by Miles Davis and Quincy Troupe, I have come across an answer to an essential question that I had on what drives artists to explore new ideas and possibilities. I have always wondered this because at times I have a hard time expanding my own musician ship to other ideas as I get stuck on old ones. It is people like Miles Davis who I always see as inventors and leaders in inventing new ideas for the music that they play. Through this book I have been able to find all of the key components that seem to have made Miles want to invent and create. The point that I am at in the book so far is when Miles is creating his new electronic music like Miles in the Sky and Bitches Brew. These two albums showcase Miles expanding his musical ideas and creating new forms of music and new ways to improvise.

It appears that miles' inspiration comes from a few places. In the beginning of his career, Miles was inspired by the talent of Dizzy Gillespie. Dizzy was Miles' biggest inspiration before and during the times that he got to play with him. Dizzy was also a great writer who inspired Miles to start writing his own music. Miles appeared to take this into consideration, but did not actually start writing. It was what Gillespie said about Miles' playing that inspired Miles. Miles was mad that he could not play fast and in the high registers like Gillespie. Gillespie told Miles that it is because he has never heard himself do these things. This meant that Miles playing in that style was not his own style, therefor he was unable to accomplish it. From this point, he decided that he was going to play like himself and do his own thing. The thought of it lingered in his head until he met Duke Ellington, one of the greatest composers of all time. This is when Miles decided to start writing. Throughout his career, Miles wrote music that related to what he heard and saw around him. If you listen to early Miles, you will find that there is a very strong connection between his music and early bebop. As time progressed, jazz fell out of the limelight and newer popular music came to play. inspired to be an innovator like Duke and Gillespie, Miles would try to incorporate new music into his current music. This technique seemed to be extremely successful in keeping his music interesting and moving forwards.

In a whole, it is society and the people around one that inspire them to form new ideas and explore new possibilities. For me, I have found this to be true. Last summer I attended the Berklee Guitar Sessions for a week. During this time, I was surrounded by blues musicians. Despite studying jazz throughout my time at Berklee, my playing became much more bluesy. When home, I am constantly surrounded by jazz musicians despite being a blues musician myself. Because of this, I try to explore the ideas of trying to play jazz blues music. Recently I have began to write some jazz blues songs of my own in order to meet my needs as a musician. I personally believe that this is what Miles did when he composed. Mixed the different styles that appealed to him together so that he could do his own thing.

Here is a picture of Miles in the 80s. His clothing says it all when it comes to doing ones own thing.

Image result for miles davis 1980


Comments

  1. Great essential question and in depth answer to it! Love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your essential question because it can be expressed differently through each musician. Great job by going into detail explaining your answer to your question and the use of a picture of Miles helps too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project

Davis' idea of freedom in the music world (quotation)

Quote blog