Quote Blog

Mingus is arguing about music with his two wives Donna and Lee-Marie. He is trying to validate him leaving her. This part of Mingus' life is a significant part as it shows his complete devotion to music. Mingus is picking his musicians over his love life at this point. In addition to all of this, Mingus had unfortunately become a very large pimp by the time he had hit the peak of his career. From this, he very clearly had no respect for women, therefor none for his lover Donna or Lee-Marie. Mingus also attempts to tell them that he had put a significantly larger amount of time into learning music than she had, resulting in them both rejecting the idea of him following music. The event that Mingus was being invited too was his own welcome back party!

This event is very typical of Mingus as he was best known for his anger and being unpredictable. This happened all throughout his career with all of the musicians he was with. His personality was really shown through all of the music that he put out. For example, after working with Charlie Parker for a few years, Mingus released a song titled "If Charlie Parker Was A Gunslinger". The title of this song had to do with how Mingus felt about Parker and the way that he played his horn. The interesting part about the quote that i found on page 298 is about how it relates to not only Mingus' career, but many other peoples careers too. When talking about underdogs, Mingus is talking about Parker, Dizzy, Miles and Monk. These four people all had wild lives that were out of the ordinary. One of the hardest parts about writing music is that you have to have some sort of life experience that you can relate your musical piece too. This is very important as all music should tell a story. With Mingus hanging around these abstract and eventful people, he was able to have plenty of experience to write about.


"I dont think so anymore. Ill have more to say musically, living with the underdogs- beneath the underdogs - more to write about." (Mingus 298)

For me, I can agree with this. My life is pretty similar to most peoples around me. I go to school, I eat breakfast lunch and dinner etc... It is only when something interesting happens to me that I am able to write interesting music. I see this all over. My friend Michael writes some phenomenal music. Mike goes out and tries to experience something new so that he can write a song about it. The process in my mind is really cool. But I believe that this is why some of the most unique sounding musicians have some of the most unique lives. For example, Ginger Baker, the drummer from Cream traveled around the remote parts of Africa taking all sorts of different drugs (drugs are horrible things but they certainly made his life abnormal). Throughout this time, his drumming drastically changed and became very afro influenced as well as its own thing. In short term, my playing changes when ever I play with different musicians, or if I am stressed. This shows how my life experiences can change my own playing.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project

Davis' idea of freedom in the music world (quotation)

Quote blog