Quote Blog

Leading up to this quote, Mingus is going into depth about how music makes him feel and how significant it is to his life. Throughout his entire career so far I have seen that Mingus has relied on music to express himself and release the pent up emotions that he has from years of living a rough and very complicated life. Starting from his early child hood with being racially confused due to his father telling him that he was white due to his light skin, yet experiencing harsh racism. Later on with his father beating him. Leading up to this quote, we have learnt about a few times that Mingus had experienced some serious experiences involving opportunities like getting to play with Charlie Parker as well as Dizzy and Miles. Mingus expressed these exciting experiences through songs like Haitian Fight Song. The sad moments the he experienced, he showed through the writing of songs like Moanin'.

In relation to Mingus' life as a whole, Music completely corresponds with his personality. Especially since he spent the rest of his life as a jazz musician. Jazz is a complex type of music that invokes many different emotions towards the listener. One song can have many different parts that allow for different sounds and tension. With tension and resolution being the key part of music in general, especially jazz, I can only see Mingus playing this kind of music. The reason for this is because his life evolved around tense moments that were later resolved. These resolved parts were primarily his music. Mingus stated many times that music allowed him to feel free of all the bad experiences that he had experienced in his past. It was a way for him to express himself without controversy about his extremely complex and tense life. This quote that I found in Mingus' Biography perfectly describes this feeling that Mingus got. Music to Mingus was proof to him that there was something to life that had purpose and opportunity for him without stress or negativity.



"My music is evidence of my soul's will to live" (Mingus 180)

I can relate to this quote quite well. I personally have quite a happy life that is full of great things and opportunity. My favorite thing in the world is music. One of the best types of music I personally find is soulful music. When ever I listen to a piece of music that the artist has poured his soul into, I get goose bumps and find myself completely swept away.  I feel like I am being pulled somewhere else that I have never been before. Like I can really connect with who ever was playing that music that I was listening too. I guess you could say that it is a sign of my soul being so willing to live for music and all the life that is happening around me.Image result for jake baynes\
Robben Ford, Me, and Lee Roy Parnell! This is the night that I got to share the stage and dressing room with Robben Ford! He toured with Miles Davis for a few years! He Recorded Jean Pierre with him

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Final Project

Davis' idea of freedom in the music world (quotation)

Quote blog